Arts & Crafts, Coffee, Food, Gardens, High Desert Living, People, Places

Posts in category Community

NaNoWriMo is coming! Are you ready?

I'm participating are you?

I’m participating are you?

NaNoWriMo is coming! NaNoWriMo is coming!

What is NaNoWriMo?

The creators of NaNoWriMo define it as: “National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.” http://nanowrimo.org/about

It is a fun roller-coaster ride. You rise to the top creating your novel and watch your word count soar. Then you plummet in to the dark canon that is thinking written yourself into a corner or you’ve falling behind on your word count only to find you start to rise again.

If you’ve ever thought, “I could do better than this guy.” Then NaNoWriMo is for you.

If you’ve ever thought, “I’d like to write a story, someday.” Then NaNoWriMo is for you.

If you’ve ever thought, “I’m not creative, writing scares me.” Then NaNoWriMo is for you.

As the Municipal Liaison (ML) for the San Bernardino Region of NaNoWriMo I invite you to join me on this adventure toward completing your first novel.

As a member of the NaNoWriMo community I challenge you to join me because:

1. You never know what you can do until you try.
  2. You’ll make some new friends, online and at community events.
  3. You’ll have fun.

For more information and to sign-up for NaNoWriMo go to http://nanowrimo.org/

Once you’ve created your account mosey on over to the regional page an introduce yourself.

Comment to score some cool NaNoWriMo sway from yours truly.

Tess DeGroot AKA Victorville-Tess Municipal Liaison for San Bernardino region.

nano_14_ml_badge_150px

I can also be found at: www.tessdegroot-books.com

How to Meet People in a New Community

Feeling alone in a new community without close family and friends nearby is a terrible feeling. Finding the solutions to the loneliness begins when you go where the people are.

When my husband and I purchased a cabin in the High Desert of southern California, I didn’t know people in the community. My mother and mother-in-law had both just passed away. Grief hit and didn’t let up for a long season. Grief and loneliness became too much for me to deal with. Then I happened to read an article about the High Desert branch of California Writers Club (HDCWC) held at Apple Valley’s library the second Saturday of each month.

I went to the next meeting. No seats were available in the back. I had to go up to one of the front rows. Talk about intimidating! They even asked visitors to stand and introduce themselves, including their writing interests or publications.

You might feel intimidated at first like I did at the first HDCWC meeting. It’s okay to feel that way at first. Remember that it’s the beginning of finding solutions to your loneliness. Either you become a hermit or get out and meet people. I got out and met people. It worked, but it took time.

Look around your new community for places that look interesting. Do research online for hobbies you enjoy. Find a 5K to participate in. Visit churches until you find one that you feel is best for you and your family. Join an improv comedy, a scrapbook, or blogging group or start your own. Get involved in the community.

Darwin's A Team, Victorville, CA

Victorville’s Improv Comedy Troupe, Darwin’s A Team

And there they go!

And there they go!

High Desert Bloggers, Route 66 Molly Brown's

High Desert Bloggers at Molly Brown’s on National Trails Highway

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

iBlog Magazine for Professional Women Bloggers

Hostgator

Archives

Categories